Fiscal Year 22 Budgets
Budgets are the Fiscal Year (July 1st – June 30th) allocations of funds through SGA for student organizations and departments on-campus that are mostly used for items and events that occur each year – especially if that funding is needed over the summer or before the Fall semester starts. The Budget process is a bit more intensive than the Bills process with additional restrictions in place along with more communication and time required. In order to submit a budget, a representative from your organization must attend a budget orientation session, and for your budget to be considered, an organization representative must also attend a JFC Review Session.
Due to the RSO Policy, the process looks a little different this year with only the JFC meeting required rather than having to appear before the legislative body. Additionally, this policy has made the requirements, timelines, and submission deadline much more strict, with no leeway available. Budgets will also be submitted on Engage this year, rather than on JacketPages, which will be covered in the Budget Orientation Sessions.
If you are unfamiliar with this RSO Policy and how it has impacted student organizations’ operations and funding options, please visit the RSO Policy Change Website.
This page will be updated throughout the process with resources, materials, and information that can assist you in understanding and traversing of the budget process. Most of the resources will be posted after the first Budget Orientation Session. If at any point you have questions about the budget process, your submission requirements, or setting up your budget please reach out to the Joint VP of Finance – Josh Eastwood.
The Fiscal Year 22 Budget Submission Deadline is Friday, October 23rd, 2020 at 11:59pm EST.
Sign-up for a Budget Orientation – HERE – to let us know you’re coming!
Review the FY22 Budget Calendar – HERE
1. Attend a Budget Orientation Session
- Attending one of these sessions is a requirement to submit a budget – if your organization does not go to a budget session your organization will not be able to submit a budget. A list of sessions is available below.
- It is an hour long information session to go over the policies, procedures, and timeline of budget requests with time to answer any questions.
- The schedule and locations of these sessions will be made available on the SGA website by the third week of the Fall semester. There will be a variety of times offered throughout the Fall semester.
2. Submit Your Budget Request on Engage
- After compiling a list of all the items you will be requesting in the budget, fill out the budget request form on Engage.
- We are in the process of updating the Resources section for guidance and additional documentation – however all of this information will be covered in the Budget Orientation.
- Please ensure you include all of the applicable submission requirements in your budget and that the submission is completed to the best of your ability. The budget form is designed to ensure you will have to submit all required information. Those submission requirements are:
- For All Budget Requests:
- A detailed written description of the program, activity, or event
- Written cost estimates of all items or services requested
- A written estimate of revenue expected to be generated in the coming year through dues, ticket sales, fundraisers, donations, or other means
- Certification that your RSO’s advisor has been provided an opportunity to review the budget submission
- If your RSO was registered in the prior year, a written account of revenue generated in the prior year through dues, ticket sales, fundraisers, donations, or other means
- If your RSO has received SGA funds in the past, a written statement is needed demonstrating that your RSO has used the past funds effectively to accomplish the goals for which those funds were awarded
- For Budgets Requesting Event Funding:
- In addition to the required information listed above
- Information/Documentation showing that students will be involved in the planning and implementation of the event
- A description of how you plan to promote the event to the student body
- For All Budget Requests:
- All budgets must be fully and properly submitted by Friday, October 23rd, 2020 at 11:59pm – there will be no exceptions.
3. Schedule a Joint Finance Committee (JFC) Budget Review Session
- By the twelfth week of the Fall semester a JFC Review session schedule will be posted to the SGA website and emailed to all budget submitters.
- A member from your organization will be required to attend a time slot to present the budget request.
- If a member from your organization is unable to attend due to a schedule change they should reach out to the Joint VP of Finance to reschedule their review session time slot.
4. Attend the JFC Budget Review Session
- Bring any materials you think might help explain your budget request and the prices you’ve listed.
- This is a casual meeting, as JFC is made up of about 10 members of undergraduates and graduate students but will take about 15 – 30 minutes depending on the length and complexity of your budget.
- Your organization will be asked to talk about your budget and answer any questions that might come up to ensure that all items requested meet policy.
- If your RSO does not appear at your scheduled JFC session time an email will be sent to you to determine a new time. Failure to appear at the second meeting will result in your organizations budget being denied.
- Your RSOs budget request will be evaluated against policy within that review session but any changes made do not reflect your final allocated amount.
5. Receive Budget Allocation Email
- JFC will review all budgets first then, if necessary, reduce all budgets at a pro rata basis – proportionally across the board – to reach the allocatable amount for budgets.
- Your organization will be contacted if this occurs to give you an opportunity to reduce your budget request on your organization’s terms and to retain what is most beneficial to your organization.
- An allocation email will be sent to your organization by the second Friday in March confirming the total amount allocated for your budget in the upcoming fiscal year as well as be updated on Engage.
- If you received less than your requested amount you can appeal following the procedure laid out in the Appeals Section of the RSO Policy Website.
Budget Orientation Sessions
|Wednesday, September 16th, 2020||6:30 PM EST||BlueJeans|
|Saturday, September 19th, 2020||10:00 AM EST||BlueJeans|
|Wednesday, September 23rd, 2020||6:30 PM EST||BlueJeans|
|Saturday, September 26th, 2020||2:00 PM EST||BlueJeans|
|Wednesday, October 7th, 2020||6:30 PM EST||BlueJeans|
|Saturday, October 10th, 2020||10:00 AM EST||BlueJeans|
|Wednesday, October 14th, 2020||6:30 PM EST||BlueJeans|
|Saturday, October 17th, 2020||2:00 PM EST||BlueJeans|
Permanent BlueJeans Link for ALL Orientation Sessions: https://bluejeans.com/6774570714
Sign-up for a Budget Orientation – HERE
Attending a Budget Orientation session is the first required step of submitting a Budget request. For this year, all Orientations will be held online via BlueJeans. Generally, the session will be broken into three segments: Budget timeline, Budget policy, and Budget submission walkthrough. Finally, the session will conclude with a Q&A portion if there are any specific questions you may have about your budget or organization’s submission. All of this should take no longer than an hour. It is asked that you sign-up for a budget session to let us know you’re coming but this is not a requirement for attendance.
Attendance will be tracked throughout the meeting for your organization to meet the requirement. A link will be shared at the end of the budget submission walkthrough with a form your organization will need to fill out that will let us know what organizations were there. If you leave before the budget submission walkthrough is over you will not be counted, and if you arrive more than ten minutes after the presentation has started you will also not be counted as attending.
Your organization will receive an attendance confirmation email within 72 hours of attending an orientation session. If you do not receive an email and your organization did attend a session please reach out to the Joint VP of Finance – Josh Eastwood.
This document has all of the deadlines and overarching calendar of the FY22 Budget Process. Use this to plan out who can appear at the required meetings and when you will need to have all materials together for you Budget Submission.
These are the base policies applied to all Budget funding requests including the prohibited allocations as well as item maximum limits. This document should be used as reference while planning and submitting your organization’s Budget to ensure that the allocation process goes well.
Fill out this form to let us know your organization is coming and what questions you have! This is not required to attend the session and is not considered during the attendance determination.
This is the presentation given during the orientation sessions to be used for reference if needed. Please note it has been modified for the website for readability and comprehension – however, the information is identical.